One Pan Chili Mac & Cheese

OK, so if you've read the first three posts, you're thinking: "do you really eat three-course meals everyday?" "How do you have time to make food like that?" I don't! That's what I cook for guests or special occasions. Just like everyone else I go through the same thing everyday after work: I'm hungry and I want food now, not in 3 hours! What am I going to make? We always eat the same things... Sound familiar? I usually turn to Pinterest and recipes I pinned. This past week I decided to try out one of these - I loved the idea of only using one pan - plus the magic words chili and mac & cheese :) So I tried it and I was sold.

I slightly modified it, mainly just to make it a little healthier. If you don't like/eat beef, you can switch out other ground meats/tofu or just leave it out altogether. Canned tuna could also work but I don't think I'd try it with other fish...This is spicy so adjust the amount of chili to your own taste or leave it out if you have to (preferably just reduce it to as little as possible because the chili powder does give a lot of depth and a slight smokiness to the flavor).
As I said, this is an "I'm tired and have been working all day and I want food now"-food. Therefore, I use ready-made tomato sauce. If you have time, make your own like grandma use to make, standing at the stove for hours, blanching and peeling the tomatoes, cooking and flavoring them for hours. It will taste better. BUT if you have better things to do, use the stuff out of a jar, and don't feel guilty about it! It'll be our little secret :)


One Pan Chili Mac & Cheese (serves 2 hungry adults as a main course) (takes about 20min to make!)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
salt and black pepper
4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
1 packed tbsp brown sugar
250 g (8.8 oz) ground beef (as lean as possible, preferably 10% fat or less)
5dl (2 cups) water
500g (15 oz) tomato sauce (I used Dolmio Bolognese Intense Garlic, if you use the same, don't add the garlic mentioned above)
5dl (2 cups) pasta ( I used La Molisana Succhietti)
150 g (5.3oz) grated cheese (preferably a flavorful cheese, I used cheddar)

1. In a deep skillet, heat oil and then add onion, chili and cumin powders and about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium high heat until onion soft.
2. Add (garlic if you're using it) and brown sugar. Cook for 30 seconds. Then add beef and fry until thoroughly cooked.
3. Add water, tomato sauce and pasta and mix thoroughly. Cook on medium high so mixture bubbles vigorously, stirring often, for about 9-12 mins (according to the pasta's cooking time stated on the package).
4. When the pasta is tender, take the skillet off the heat and add cheese and mix through.

5. I garnished it with a little basil I happened to have but it's tasty without it too.


Comments